Saturday, December 4, 2010

In The Event Of A Fire, Use The Gospel

So things get hot in my life. It seems like everything is burning up. My foundations stand firm while the walls of my life seem to be breaking down. The fire of trials and temptations burn all around me and the walls of pride, self, and life are burning like an old barn house. Go figure I would be stuck in the middle of all of it.

I look towards the closet, a red object. A fire extinguisher? Sure enough the fire extinguisher is there. Its in easy reach. But I remembered that I left something back in my Idol room. I run, barely dodging the falling timber from the wooden ceilings. I get to the door and its shut. I have only a few moments before this building collapses, but I have to get that Idol back. I kick at the door, the flames making it easy to break through. Crackling of bursting wood catches me off guard and I flinch fearing to be hit, but by God's grace I wasn't.

So many Idols in this room, I go and reach for one a black backpack. I sling it onto my back the weight slowing me down. A board falls in front of me barely missing me. I exit the room, and look for that fire extinguisher. In the same place, I grab the fire extinguisher but have a problem. The Idol pack is heavy, I can't carry it without relieving the weight with my hands. I can't carry both the precious Idol and the life saving extinguisher.

Choices choices... I could save the Idol and perhaps use it to build a new house. It could gain me a lot. But what good is any of that if I lose my life in an attempt to keep it. I have to drop the Idol. So I make the decision and go to drop the Idol, but it drags me down to the floor, and I am burnt by the burning walls of pride. I can't get up on my own. What a mistake! To grab that Idol and try escaping with it. It only proved to be my death.

I struggle, trying to get the Idol off myself, but I can't do it. But then I remember, a friend of mine gave me something. I didn't think much of it when he gave it to me, but now it comes to mind. I reach into my left pocket. A small silver metallic object. A switchblade. The knife seemed so insignificant, I didn't think I would ever need one. I scoffed at him when he told me it would save my life one day. With it I was able to cut the Idol off of my back.

I grabbed the extinguisher, my only source of life. I began to fire at the flames. But the fire was huge. All that was left was to let the walls of pride, self and life burn down. But I didn't have to go down with it. The extinguisher helped me get to safety outside. I stood outside and watched the futile efforts of the fire department (the world) try to save that house. They sprayed it down with self confidence, self love, and prideful efforts. But I stood by and watched it burn. As I began to lose that house of self the fire chief placed his hand on my shoulder and said, 

"I'm sorry, its a shame, but we couldn't keep it up." 
To which I replied, 
"Let it burn, I've got a new one." 

He laughed and shook his head as he walked away.

I looked at the rubble. Charred walls, shattered glass, and nothing but a worthless pile. I kicked through the debris, nothing left but the foundation. For a moment I wondered what I would do. Left with nothing, but a firm foundation. Sure I could start to build, but on my own? I stood there and noticed a man on my debris. He was slowly sweeping things away. 

"Who are you?" I called out to Him
"I'm the Landlord, I laid this foundation."
"Oh, I'm sorry for the house." I meekly replied, not sure what to say.
"No worries I have been waiting for you to burn it down, it was such an eyesore."

I looked at Him sheepishly.

"You've been waiting for me to burn it down?"
"Well yes," he replied with a grin, "I can't build something new with that old mess there."
I looked at the pile of garbage, "You want to make something new?"
He smiled bigger, "And better. And now that there's nothing in the way."
I smiled at the stranger simply glad to have my life, "So whats this new house like?"
He looked up and then back at me, "Mine." He replied and continued sweeping.

I smiled, He smiled. Then a few more people arrived, and began to help with the debris.

"Who are these people?" I asked the man.
"Them? Oh these are people whose houses I've rebuilt. Many of them just like you. We all spend time together, help each other out, and those sort of things. Its really just a big family..." He smiled His warm smile again.
"Am I a part of this now?" I excitedly asked. I was worried though, so many good people how could I be like them? He probably didn't even want me there.
"Why of course!" He interrupted my thoughts. "If you weren't welcome I wouldn't have built this foundation. Now sit down and I'll build My house for you."

He continued to work on my broken house I tried to help, but with my burnt arms I could do nothing. He smiled and set me down and said,

"My work." and smiled and continued to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment