Thursday, December 16, 2010

“I fear the prayers of John Knox more than all the assembled armies of Europe.”

This was reportedly said by Mary, queen of the Scots. But she had a point. 

James 5:16 The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results. (NLT)

I like this translation the best... It doesn't really follow the Greek, but I don't think that this is a blasphemous statement. Prayer is powerful and it results in God's will... In context the verse is talking about those who confess sin and are saved... So I am one using a bad translation of the verse, and I am using it out of context... But I still believe that this verse is true. Prayer is powerful, and it will bring out wonderful results.

A better translation of this verse might be something like this... (I am not a Greek scholar so don't take my word on it haha...)

The constant effort of the righteous to plea to God has the power to effect much...

Something like that... Here is the Greek structure / definitions (Thanks to Blue Letter Bible)

ἐνεργέω (energeo) -
1) to be operative, be at work, put forth power
        a) to work for one, aid one
2) to effect
3) to display one's activity, show one's self operative

δέησις (deesis) -
1) need, indigence, want, privation, penury
2) a seeking, asking, entreating, entreaty to God or to man

δίκαιος (dikiaos) -
1) righteous, observing divine laws
       a) in a wide sense, upright, righteous, virtuous, keeping the commands of God
            1) of those who seem to themselves to be righteous, who pride themselves to be righteous, who pride               themselves in their virtues, whether real or imagined
2) innocent, faultless, guiltless
3) used of him whose way of thinking, feeling, and acting is wholly conformed to the will of God, and who therefore needs no rectification in the heart or life
        a) only Christ truly
4) approved of or acceptable of God
        b) in a narrower sense, rendering to each his due and that in a judicial sense, passing just judgment on others, whether expressed in words or shown by the manner of dealing with them

ἰσχύω (ischyo) -
1) to be strong
       a) to be strong in body, to be robust, to be in sound health
2) to have power
       a) to have power as shown by extraordinary deeds
1) to exert, wield power, to have strength to overcome
       b) to be a force, avail
       c) to be serviceable
       d) to be able, can

ἐνεργέω (energeo) -
1) to be operative, be at work, put forth power
        a) to work for one, aid one
2) to effect
3) to display one's activity, show one's self operative

πολύς (polys)
1) many, much, large

So yeah... Prayer is important... It helps us to do God's will...

With all this I have a few prayer requests...

I just today went and had a job interview... Please pray that if it is God's will that I could get this job.
If I don't get a job please pray that God will continue to increase my faith in Him.
If I do get the job please pray that God would strengthen me to work and do school.
Also pray that I would have continued peace this semester.
I am planning on trying to get out to Tonaki Island this week. God's provision and will for this.
Also please continue to pray for God's will concerning Korea and opportunity to minister there.

Thanks so much... 

No comments:

Post a Comment