Thursday, December 23, 2010

Chuck Smith on Movies, Books, and TV

They are filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malignity; whisperers, backbiters, haters of God, spiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affections, implacable, unmerciful (Rom 1:29-31):
Sounds like the morning newspaper. We are surrounded. We see the inevitable consequences of man trying to rule God out of his life. We see it in our society in which we live, these very things, prevalent in our society.
Who, knowing the judgment of God, that they who commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them (Rom 1:32).
Now you watch soap operas? Do you enjoying watching soap operas? Do you enjoy watching Dallas? Do you enjoy watching a murder mystery? Do you enjoy watching movies that have these X-rated features to them? If you enjoy watching these things, then are you not taking pleasure in those who do them? You see, you may go off very self righteously and say, "I never commit fornication. I have never murdered anybody, or I have never done this or that or the other." But Paul says, "Not only do they do them, but they take pleasure in those that do them." That is a person actually enjoys reading about it. Or a person enjoys watching it portrayed. Things that I wouldn't think about doing myself, but there is some kind of an excitement watching someone else do it. That is taking pleasure in those that do. Be careful, God help us. We are being bombarded on every side by Satan's wiles, seeking to snare us, draw us in. Because it is fascinating, it is interesting, "Oh, it is just life and I am just interested in life." Rationalize how you please. Be careful if you take pleasure in people who do these things, watching them do these things.

Chapter 2
Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judges (Rom 2:1):
You see, I read this list and I say, "Oh, yes, it is horrible. My, I just don't know what we are going to do, the world is going so terrible, bad. Terrible that people would do those kind of things, terrible that people would live like that." Well, you are inexcusable O man whoever you are that judges.
for wherein you judge another, you are condemning yourself; for you that judge are doing the same things (Rom 2:1).
We have got to be careful of this judgment bit. Because if I have the capacity to judge someone else and say, "That is wrong, he should not be doing that." Then I am condemning myself, because I know it is wrong and if I do it, it is doubly wrong, because I know it is wrong because I said it was wrong. You know, it is amazing how horrible our sins look when someone else is doing them. Let someone else commit my sins, and I can get just all kind of righteous indignation. I can tell you why I did it, I can justify it. But it is horrible when someone else does it. It is terrible. Be careful, O man, whoever you are who judges, you are only condemning yourself because you are testifying to the fact that you know better, when you have done those things yourself.


Chuck Smith really challenged me with this... Am I pleased with the sins of others? Am I finding enjoyment in listening, watching, or acting sin? When I play games do I find the sin enacted in them enjoyable? In the movies I watch? In the books I read?

Take this warning from Chuck seriously... Don't brush it off as him being legalistic... Because Chuck didn't come up with idea... Paul did... And if Paul says that finding enjoyment in others sins is a sin... Then I would take that seriously... Please if you are a follower of The Way then follow... Don't drag your feet trying to bring the dirt with you... Remove those things in your life that aren't pleasing God... Don't fall into the trap of "oh Chuck is just legalistic..." Paul said it not Chuck... Take this warning seriously..

No comments:

Post a Comment